Municipal Debt Essentials
February 12-14, 2019
Riverside Convention Center
This three-day seminar is designed to provide municipal financing principles through lecture, short examples, and classroom interaction. Day 1, Debt Basics, covers the fundamental elements of debt financing, from the core concepts of bond math to the types of debt state and local governments can issue. Day 2, Planning a Bond Sale, is focused on the preparation, planning, and processes involved in issuing municipal debt, including, but not limited to, the development of a written debt policy and plan of finance, structuring debt service payments, managing cost of issuance, and credit analysis. Day 3, Marketing and Pricing a Municipal Bond, covers the concepts and processes involved in accessing the capital markets. The topics include a discussion of the offering document used to sell the bonds and how underwriters and issuers seek to market and price the bond.
- Agenda Day 1: Debt Basics
- Agenda Day 2: Planning a Bond Sale
- Agenda Day 3: Marketing and Pricing a Municipal Bond
- Presentation Materials
- Cost: Public Officials - $150 per day or $375 for all three days. Private - $350 per day or $975 for all three days.
- Accommodations: CDIAC has secured a block of rooms at The Mission Inn for $95.00 plus tax per night, single occupancy. To reserve a room, please call (800) 843-7755 or (951) 784-0300 ext. 850 before January 14, 2019, and reference the California Debt & Investment Advisory Commission room block. Please note that rooms are limited. The hotel has a 48-hour cancellation policy.
- Recommended Readings:
- California Debt Issuance Primer, California Debt and Investment Advisory Commission (CDIAC), 2006
- Glossary of Municipal Securities Terms, Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board (MSRB), August 2013
- Issuing Municipal Securities, MSRB Education Center
- Issuer Resource Library, MSRB, May 2016
- Roles and Responsibilities: The Financing Team in an Initial Municipal Bond Offering, MSRB, 2018
- Best Practice: Debt Management Policy, Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), October 2012
- Best Practice: Primary Market Disclosure, GFOA, September 2017
- Disclosure Obligations of Issuers of Municipal Securities, Orrick, 2018
- White Paper on Best Municipal Bond Issuance Practices, National Federation of Municipal Analysts, June 2014
- Preparing Requests for Proposals, CDIAC, October 1994
- 10 Things to Know: New SEC Rule 15c2-12 Requirements, MSRB
- SEC Rule 15c2-12: Navigating the New Continuing Disclosure Requirements, Stifel, October 2018