Contractor Information for the Residential Energy Efficiency Loan (REEL) Assistance Program
The REEL program is designed to facilitate greater deal flow by helping you reach new customers, sign more contracts and increase the overall scope and value of the projects you complete.
The California Hub for Energy Efficiency Financing (CHEEF) was established by the state of California to create attractive financing options for your customers so that more projects with deeper energy savings can be completed. By participating in REEL, you make these financing products available to your customers and share in the benefits, including a statewide multimillion dollar marketing, education and outreach campaign promoting the availability of special financing for energy projects – like yours.
Why Should Contractors Participate?
- Offer 100% financing to your customers with attractive rates and terms.
- Close more deals by offering financing created especially for energy projects.
- Access a network of approved lenders to help source potential projects.
- Join a network of approved contractors and get featured on the statewide websites.
- No cost to participate.
- Contractor Eligibility Requirements
- Project Requirements Overview
- Full Text of REEL Regulations
- Program Flyer for Contractors
Join the REEL Program
Step 2: Register and attend a Contractor Training
The CHEEF team will be hosting training events for contractors who wish to participate in the REEL Assistance Program both in-person and via webinar. This training is mandatory for contractors who want to participate in the Program.
The Training Events Calendar contains information on training for contractors who wish to participate in the REEL Program.
- Compliance Handbook Updated December 7, 2018
- Lender Chart
- Project Document Checklist
- Borrower Consent to Share Credit Information with Contractor (Optional Form. Not applicable for California Coast Credit Union projects)
Resources for Enrolled Contractors
Required Project Documentation: Blank Forms to Download
- Itemized Invoice
- Certificate of Completion
- REEL Borrower Form
- CHEEF Bill Impact Estimate
Contractors may provide their own bill impact estimates for customers, or they may use the CHEEF bill impact estimate, which conveys average residential energy savings data for the State of California.
How to Complete Required Forms Instructional Videos
(Please adjust your YouTube settings to view in highest quality)
Sample Project Packages with Completed Forms
The links below show illustrations of sample energy efficiency projects for different customers and how the various scenarios are captured in the required forms.
- Sample Project: Project requiring a safety test
- Sample Project: HVAC project with additional non energy efficiency measures, rebate not applied to project cost, one spouse is the utility customer while the other spouse is the borrower
If you have any questions about the REEL Assistance Program, please email CHEEF.