2018 Debt Issuance and Public Investment Webinars, Seminars and Conferences
Land-Secured Financing Seminar
September 5-6, 2018
Riverside Convention Center
Fundamentals of Land-Secured Financing - Wednesday, September 5, 2018
This program will detail the land-secured financing process from district pre-formation through project implementation to ongoing administration. Both Mello-Roos Community Facilities District and Assessment District financings will be covered in depth.
Current Topics and Practices in Land-Secured Financing - Thursday, September 6, 2018
Community Facilities Districts and Assessment Districts continue to provide public agencies resources to finance public facilities and services. They have filled the void in public financing for these purposes left by Proposition 13. This intermediate course provides public officials with an understanding of these financial structures and an update on current topics and practices related to their use and administration.
Each year, the California Debt and Investment Advisory Commission publishes the Local Agency Investment Guidelines (LAIG), which provides references and recommendations, developed by public and private sector professionals, for interpreting and applying California statute to common public fund investment topics related to local agencies. It also provides information on recent state law changes. This webinar will give a brief overview of the LAIG and the annual update process. Presenters will also discuss changes to the LAIG in 2018, including the use of options, futures and securities lending agreements in the public portfolio.
- Recommended Readings:
Municipal Market Disclosure
February 7, 2018
DoubleTree by Hilton
Fresno Convention Center
Both the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Government Accountability Office noted in their evaluations of the municipal market the need to improve market transparency through better disclosure. Improving the practice of municipal securities market disclosure is an ongoing process, strengthened by annual staff training. This CDIAC seminar will focus on the SEC rules and regulations, the current changes to those rules, and proposed reforms for primary and secondary disclosure practices by public agencies. This program is open to all interested parties.
- Presentation Materials
- Recommended Readings:
- Understanding Your Continuing Disclosure Responsibilities, Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), September 2015
- Post Issuance Policies and Procedures, GFOA, 2017
- Using Technology for Disclosure GFOA, 2015
- Primary Market Disclosure, GFOA, 2017
- White Paper on Best Municipal Bond Issuance Practices, National Federation of Municipal Analysts (NFMA), June 2014
- Recommended Best Practices in Disclosure for State Government General Obligation and Appropriation Debt, NFMA, September 2015
- Crafting Disclosure Policies, National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL), August 2015
- Direct Purchases of State or Local Obligations by Commercial Banks and Other Financial Institutions, NABL, July 2017
- Disclosure Obligations of Issuers of Municipal Securities, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, 2011
- Report on the Municipal Securities Market, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, July 31, 2012
Advanced Public Funds Investing: The Analytics of Portfolio Selection and Decision-Making
In collaboration with CMTA
January 17-18, 2018
Carmel Mission Inn
This one and a half day seminar is designed to provide an advanced discussion of portfolio management, including the more complex concepts underlying sound public portfolio analysis and decision-making. The seminar will cover investment concepts, risk, and the permissible securities under California Government Code 53601. It will also include an investment portfolio case-study simulation to allow seminar participants to place concepts into practice.